Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these.
- The KBO Hurricane shows how less can be more. Its conservative motor and battery mixed with the single-speed belt drive make for a unique riding experience that we thoroughly enjoyed.
- We think KBO nailed the visuals of the Hurricane. The sleek design makes it look more like a standard bike than an electric bike.
- The Hurricane offers a unique ride experience where it feels like you’re riding a standard bike until you reach a hill.
- Some may feel the KBO Hurricane is a little underpowered for their needs.
- The Hurricane isn’t the best hill climber because of its single speed belt drive and small 250W motor.
Best electric bike under $1,000 for the big city trendsetter
Fiido’s D11 has one of the most unique designs on our list. It’s a Class 1 foldable e-bike that comes with a 250W motor, and 36V, 11.6Ah battery that doubles as the seatpost. The battery seatpost allows a wide range of rider height adjustment and gives the D11 space to hold a larger battery. The D11 also comes with a “moped mode” where the throttle stays engaged until the brakes are used.
When we reviewed the Fiido D11 we quickly learned that the 20-inch wheels, 38.6 lb weight, foldable frame and features like “moped mode” all add up to make the D11 a great “pocket commuter”; meaning it’s small enough to take just about anywhere when folded up while still maintaining its utility. Fiido has designed the D11 to be easy to carry around and store until you’re ready to use it, making the D11 the perfect connector between the train station and your workplace.
It’s important to note that the D11 is no speed demon and the top speed caps out at around 16 mph. If you’re somebody who lives in a big city where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic I see this as plenty fast. You’re going to be able to bob and weave throughout the masses at a safe and controlled pace.
The D11 is great for different reasons than a lot of other bikes on our list. It has a unique and radical design that can be highly beneficial to those who are low on space and high on the idea of riding to work. I really like the battery seatpost design as it provides a long battery life and keeps the frame of the bike lightweight.